Twitter is a well-known social media platform that is used by millions of people across the globe. Twitter was launched in 2006 and initially started as a microblogging where users could share 140-character short posts. These brief posts are popularly known as tweets; since their inception, Twitter usage across the world has only increased.
Twitter is a go-to place for its users to share and gain knowledge about daily updates and events happening worldwide, talk about their interests, and connect with people across the globe. Over the years, there have been many new updates and features that have been added to the app to improve the experience of the users.
One is the increase in the number of characters that can be used in a single tweet from 140 to 280. It has also branched out into other areas of innovation, like short videos, etc.
Twitter analytics concerning its usage, demographics, and revenue is an important aspect one should have proper knowledge about to understand whether investing in this social media platform is worthwhile.
General Twitter Statistics
Before getting into the details one should know about the following general facts and figures about Twitter.
● In the Most Popular Social Network Category, Twitter ranks in the 15th position.
Twitter ranks in the 15th position in terms of the number of monthly active users. Although according to the Hoot suite survey, it is the seventh most popular social media platform. Other social media applications like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Pinterest are tough competitors of twitter.
● 92 % of Tweets on Twitter are made by 10% of its users
According to data, 92% of tweets are made by 10% of the users. Most people who use Twitter are not super active when sharing content on Twitter. On average, most people tweet once per month. This ratio indicates that people mostly visit twitter to consume and not to create.
● Most of the user base visits Twitter to get the latest news updates.
Most of the population, especially the youth, turns to social media platforms for various reasons, one of which is to get the latest news. Twitter is a social media platform that people primarily use to get the latest news. In the U.S., it was seen that 48% of people use it for news and entertainment, 34% of the users use the app for staying in touch with their family and friends, 33% use it to follow brands, and 12% use it for other purposes.
● Twitter is the world’s 550th most valuable company.
Twitter had a capital revenue of 29.56 billion dollars as of September 2022, which makes it the 550th most valuable company in the world.
● 30% of consumers, irrespective of the type of commodity, like interacting with brands on Twitter
Twitter is an excellent platform for businesses to build their presence, as it helps them to interact with potential consumers and increase engagement and connection rates. Customers also like to get the latest updates via Twitter.
● The most used emoji on Twitter is the “tears with joy” emoji.
In the year 2019, this emoji was used more than two billion times, across the world.
Usage Statistics of Twitter
Although Twitter has been around in the market for many years, the user base continues to grow, and a massive number of tweets are posted daily, keeping the community connected and engaged.
Global Usage of Twitter
- According to data from the second quarter of 2021, Twitter had 206 million daily active account users worldwide who come back daily to see the activities going on. The present time Twitter has around 396.5 million users worldwide. The user count falls behind other social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram, which have billions of users.
- Considering the data for October 2021 shows that Twitter has around 19.05 million users in the U.K. alone. Most of the users in the U.K. are male, which indicates a male-dominated user base in the U.K.
- Twitter had a penetration rate of 45% in the U.K. in the year 2020. This impressive penetration rate indicates that it will maintain its firm position in the U.K. market for years to come, as people there still consider it a relevant app for making connections online.
- As most people visit Twitter to get updates about various events related to entertainment or politics or to discuss a common interest, on average, 500 million tweets are sent daily.
- Tweets made by Gen-Z users composed 52% of all the tweets in the year 2020. Gen-Z refers to all those people who were born between 1997 and 2012. This interest shown by the younger generation is a good sign which indicates and ensures twitter’s longevity.
- We know that most people like to engage and consume from various social media platforms in this digital era. Mindlessly scrolling through the feed of a social media app to see what our friends, family, favourite celebrities, and bands are doing is done to us quite frequently. Data has shown that adults in the U.S.A. spend approximately six minutes per day on Twitter.
Demographic Statistics of Twitter
In 2020, when the global pandemic struck the world, and everyone was at their home, such a situation prompted a considerable mass to join the platform. It is essential to know the demographic statistics of Twitter, as it will help the marketer to understand whether the target audience is active or not.
● The primary user base of Twitter comes from the U.S.A.
The United States has a total of 77.75 million Twitter users, making up most of the Twitter user base worldwide. Other countries that round out the top five positions are Japan with 58.2 million active users, India with 24.45 million active users, Brazil with 19.05 million active users, and the United Kingdom with 19.05 million active users.
● The majority of the Twitter user base is made with people who belong to the age group of 25 to 34.
When it is about the age of the users, even though they are all across the board, the most common age group to which most of the users all around the world belong is 23-34 years old. Users from this age group make up 38.5 of Twitter’s global user base.
● Twitter is male-dominated
Twitter is an excellent place for any brand whose target audience is male; 70.4% of Twitter’s user base is identified as male. Female users make up the rest, 29.6% of the user base worldwide.
Twitter’s Revenue Statistics
● In 2020 Twitter had a Global Revenue of 3.72 Billion Dollars
Twitter has seen a more or less steady increase in revenue except for the decrease from 2016 to 2017. Twitter accomplished a huge milestone by generating a revenue of 3.72 billion in the year 2020.
● Revenue from Advertisement
The brands’ money generates a huge part of Twitter’s revenue in promoting their products or themselves on the platform. Twitter made more than 3.2 million dollars in the year 2020 from advertising.
● Expenditure on sales and Marketing
The executives at Twitter know how important it is to make necessary investments in sales and marketing. As a result, in 2020, they invested 887.66 million dollars in marketing-related expenses.
Business statistics on Twitter
When it comes to making a presence for a business and making people aware of it, Twitter, as a micro-blogging platform, can assist companies and brands in attracting potential customers.
● Great platform for B2B marketers
Research done by content marketing institutes shows that around 82% of B2B companies resort to Twitter to share their latest content, advertise their deals, and connect with their target audience.
● Twitter users like to follow brands.
A huge chunk of Twitter users, approximately 79%, use Twitter primarily for following brand updates. Therefore, providing the customers with entertaining and informative content helps to engage them and gain their support.
● Best social media platform for Brand Interaction
Twitter is a micro-blogging platform, so it makes connecting to others very easy in real-time. We know that 30% of consumers like to interact with their favourite brands through Twitter, so forming consumer communities here is the easiest.
Therefore, to know about the status of Twitter usage across the world, one has to be aware of the different Twitter statistics. It will help determine whether it is relevant and worthwhile for a brand and provide a better understanding of the various events happening on Twitter, the users’ likes, dislikes, and other preferences.